The municipal park has been a busy urban centre since the modernist period and is currently the site of the fish market.
At the end of the 19th century the city widened its boundaries. This expansion led to the walls being demolished and thus a change in appearance of Tortosa took place. By means of this urban expansion, streets were opened and large squares were built and the city changed its image from what up to such time consisted of narrow, winding streets determined by the hundred-year old enclosing walls. The new areas meant that the lively city centres were moved and, among others, there was a concern to provide green leisure areas. As a result of this in 1848 a modest promenade was built with two rows of mulberry trees. The place became known as the Temple promenade due to its location near the Temple Portal and Sant Pere Bastion that no longer existed. Little by little the original project took off. In 1880 the caulkers, weavers and stonecutters huts were confiscated that were located on the Temple promenade side of the river, a shipyard area known as Camp dels Titets. This was the origin of what we know nowadays as Teodor Gonzalez Park, named after the project developer and the municipal architect Joan Abril, who designed it along the line of the romantic gardens with modernist features.
The park currently has sectors of geometric gardens with flowerbeds typical of French gardens. The wide avenue of plane trees, by means of small pathways, has become an area with a strong modernist influence. The outside staircase, built in 1921 by Pau Monguió, fully belongs to a late modernist period. The handrails, full of rhythm and movement due to their curved shapes and organic edges, the mosaic benches and the pebble stones of the steps completely blend into the natural environment of its plant surroundings. It is connected to the new lake, built in 1918, in the lower area of the park. We should mention the wide botanical variety in its vegetation. In addition to the local species, examples of other more exotic species can be found such as the cedar from the Lebanon, Syria and Eastern Turkey, magnolia bushes originally from North America and “tuia”, among others, from Japan, Manchuria and Korea.
The Fish Market
The fish market is currently located in the municipal park. The council under took the construction of the fish market in 1368 in the square that was on the Rambla, next to the River Ebro.
In its time it was used for commercial purposes such as ordering and delivering goods. After numerous fateful historic events that resulted in it undergoing attacks and after being used as warehouse for military material in 1848, it was about to be destroyed and disappear when, by an agreement of the Council, it began to be demolished, on about 10 September 1932. However the part that remained, the “porxo del blat”, was moved to the north east part of the Teodor González Municipal Park, and was rebuilt stone by stone by the Autonomous Government of Catalonia, until it was rebuilt exactly how it had been, the work being completed on Saturday, 12 August 1933.
The building is a rectangular shape divided into two passages by three huge arcades on polygonal pillars. On its large sides the building opens up to the outside through four large pointed arches, and there are two more for one of the wide fronts- one for every nave – designed in “terç de punt” On the other shorter side, enclosed by a wall, two very beautiful large geminated windows with artistic arches and stone columns, one for each nave.